S is is the Hospital..

S is in the hospital. It all began Christmas eve... S started to get a
cold. His eyes got all gunky and he was sleeping a lot more. We had
Christmas with my Grandmother (in Maine) and all of the family on my
Dad's side of the family and then headed on to my parents house. That
night
he seemed to just have gunky eyes like a lot of newborns do. The next
morning(Christmas Day) he started in with a runny nose that I was
suctioning out about every hour. Then he started
to breath a little bit harder. But still was eating and had no temp so
we just kept watching him. The next day he started in with a cough and
I knew something was wrong. That night I stayed awake mot of the night
watching him... He already had a scheduled doctors appointment for the
next day so I thought if we could make it to there then we would be all
set. The next morning(12/27) we headed back to New Hampshire for the
doctors. He was not looking that good and I was bringing my niece back
with me to spend the week. I had her in the back seat watching him to
make sure he was still breathing. We drop DH off at home and my niece,
the boys and I headed to the doctors. When we got there I got D & A
out and went around to get S and he was BLUE! I told my niece to run
with the boys and we booked it upstairs to the doctors office and when
I got in there they took one look at him and we (the doctor, the nurse
and I) ran to the ER. He was so blue, I can't even describe what I was
feeling at the moment. We got him into the er and there were about 30
people running from everywhere. I had the doctors office call DH. When
they took his O2 stats they were only 36! IT was horrible, they were
pumping the Oxygen to him and trying to get him to respond. He was
working really hard to breath. DH finally got there and we called our
good friend Cinny to come and get the boys and my niece (thank you Cinny
!). The next thing I knew they were calling for a life flight to the
BIG hospital an hour and 1/2 from home. They were testing his
secretions and determined that he did in deed have RSV, (which is what
I suspected). They then ended upintubating
him(putting a breathing tube down his throat so that he could rest and
a ventilator could breath for him. His heart rate was 180 and it
dropped immediately
back down to where it should be 140, as soon as the put the tube in.
The helicopter arrived and a specialized team took over his care. The
was a storm coming in so theylitterly had minutes to stabilize him and take off or they would have
to transport him by ground which would take 1 1/2 verse the 15 minutes
it would take to fly. They left with 3 minutes to spare. DH had called
our good friends, Pastor Rick and Peggy to ask them if they could come
and drive us to the hospital.(Thank you again Pastor Rick and Peggy!)
They drove us to the hospital and thankfully
they did because I don't think we would have made it as fast as we did!
When we arrived and finally found him(long story) he was resting
peacefully in a room on PICU(Pediatric
Intensive Care Unit.) The nurse came in and gave us an update, she said
that he was stable and resting and that they were sending out some
cultures to see if there was anything else going on. Which there was.
He also hasHIB, which is almost like a pneumonia, so his lungs are plumb full. The doctors
reassured us that it was going to be a long haul but that he would be
okay with treatment. He is still on the vent and will be till at least
Sunday. I will continue to keep you updated everyday. Please continue
to pray. I know our God is aGod of miracles and that He is watching out for us. God has bless us, he truly
has. Thank you all for your prayers and thank you to my sister who came
and got the kids, as well to my parents who came and kept us company
last night. We love you all and ask you all to continue to lift S up in prayers. The Lord has provided us with wonderful Doctors,
Nurses, Social Workers, etc. He has hand picked everyone of them to
take care of S and we find peace and comfort in that fact. More to come
tomorrow...

Comments

thinking of you all. love, hugs, and prayers being sent your way.
Indie Pereira said…
Wow. That's scary stuff. I'm glad that you got him to the hospital in time and pray for him to get better soon.
Anonymous said…
Oh Kann, I'm crying for you. How terribly scary. I'm so glad that you got him treated when you did. Prayers are being said big-time.

((((HUGS))))
Marie said…
we are praying for you! I am so glad he is doing well right now! Big hugs your way
Brian Vinson said…
Praying for the little guy. A baby from our church had RSV right after her first week, and now she's doing fine. I hope and pray that the same will be the case with S.

Brian (an online friend of Heath's)

Popular Posts